Why Businesses Need to Invest in Disaster Recovery as a Service
With the dramatic increase in cyberattacks and natural disasters, businesses need to have a contingency plan in place to recover quickly in case of these harmful events. Recovery from data related disasters can be extremely long and costly. Managed service providers such as Tekscape are now offering DRaaS or disaster recovery as a service to combat data loss and business downtime after disasters. If there is a disaster, Tekscape is able to provide on-demand virtual desktop support, virtualization, storage, and secured recovery. We ensure privacy and reliability with quality customer support when the time comes.
Four factors to consider when making the decision to invest in disaster recovery as a service
• Compliance – When selecting a DRaaS provider, you’ll want to make sure that you select one that will meet your organization's compliance requirements.
• Compliance requirement - Statement on Standard for Attestation Engagements 16 Type II (SSAE Type II) is an approval stamp from certified auditors. The stamp states that an organization has met proper controls over financial reporting (SOC 1) and effectively controls over a given period (SOC 2).
• Compliance requirement - Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) is a program commenced by the state bureaus and FBI. It identifies the precautions that should be taken to fingerprint records, criminal background, and other data collected by law enforcement agencies.
• Compliance requirement - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), this act is essential for healthcare organizations. This act is responsible for protecting sensitive patient information.
Common definitions that go along with disaster recovery as a service
• Managed service provider - (MSP) delivers services, such as network, application, infrastructure, and security, via ongoing and regular support and active administration. It is either performed on customers’ premises, in their MSP’s data center (hosting), or in a third-party data center.
• Recovery point objective - (RPO) is the maximum acceptable amount of data loss after an unplanned data-loss incident, expressed as an amount of time.
• Recovery time objective – (RTO) The maximum tolerable length of time that a computer, system, network or application can be down after a failure or disaster occurs.
• Ransomware - A type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system, either by locking the system's screen or by locking the users' files until a ransom is paid.
Does disaster recovery as a service reduce recovery costs?
Any business that has a secondary location for their disaster recovery operation knows that there are always high costs associated with it. Besides costs for software licenses, servers, storage, and security, there are several other additional costs. Most of these additional costs can be eliminated by using DRaaS through a managed service provider. Using a managed service provider for disaster recovery as a service can eliminate the expenses listed below.
• Leasing/purchasing a secondary space for the data for backup in case of a disaster
• Costs associated with power, HVAC, and bandwidth at the secondary site
• The cost of servers, storage, and network equipment for the secondary site
• The cost of staffing and securing the secondary site
In addition to the expenses above, DRaaS allows you to never have to pay for something you will never use. Since most managed service providers have cloud based solutions for disaster recovery, you can scale your resource allocation depending on your current needs.
DRaaS can make disaster recovery time much faster
The longer it takes for a business to recover from a disaster, the more revenue it will lose. A study by the Ponemon Institute reported that unplanned business downtime can cost an average of $8,850 per minute. When using a managed service provider that offers DRaaS, a business can have their infrastructure back up and running within fifteen minutes to four hours. DRaaS focuses on short recovery point objectives. That means when data is restored, it will be as close to its current state as possible. Recovery point objectives are particularly useful when recovering from a ransomware attack. Recovery time objective is the maximum time required for full restoration on data to the point the business is back up and running.
Disaster recovery as a service can help your internal IT team
Many internal IT teams are preoccupied with critical internal IT problems. When investing in a managed service provider to handle disaster recovery, your internal IT team doesn’t need to worry about the maintenance, testing, and support associated with it. All of it is handled by the managed service provider. Internal IT teams may also not have the knowledge on how to handle the difficult process of recovering data from disasters. Keep in mind that your internal IT team can still manage data storage, run reports, and recover some lost data on their own.
Backup data is more secure with DRaaS
When working with a managed service provider that provides an offsite data center, you can be assured that that backup data that is stored there will be secure. Managed service providers ensure that the offsite facilities that store customer data are secure with state-of-the-art security such as CTV cameras, electric fences, personal IDs, and security coded doors. Managed service providers can also offer specialized protection against cyberattacks, and data breaches
Tekscape has been a recognized managed IT services company since 2007 that is headquartered in New York City. Currently, we operate via two physical locations in the United States. Based on our engineers’ deep technical knowledge and leveraging our strategic relationships with the world’s leading cloud providers, Tekscape excels at supporting companies globally with information technology solutions. Tekscape services include managed IT, managed security services, cloud computing, network, advisory services, compliance, and collaboration
• To protect and serve clients with customized and innovative IT solutions by delivering high quality and secure technologies.
• Allow our clients, through exceptional service, to meet and exceed their business goals.
Over the years, Tekscape’s strong leadership and project management have earned the company a valuable reputation as a trusted partner with some of the best technology brands. As a leader in IT projects and management, Tekscape provides experience, independence, professionalism, and high-quality services to clients in the most demanding environments. Tekscape is a hands-on type of company and known for its technical competence and strategic thinking toward client projects.